Friday, April 9, 2010

Demolition Day

*EDIT* Please excuse any errors you may find in this post. After an entire day of ripping out walls I'm so exhausted and I'm sure I've made more mistakes in this post then I ever have in a blog post.

Today was a big day... Demolition Day! We spent the entire day ripping out molding and paneling. It was hard, but so much fun! I've hated the paneling since the first time we walked into the house, so it felt very nice to rip it off the wall :)

Doug headed to the house early in the morning to get a head start. By the time I showed up, around lunchtime, he had almost finished the entire master bedroom!

House020

We finished up the bedroom and headed to the living room. I was really looking forward to this room.
A lot of people have asked us why we want to remove the paneling, or why don't we just paint the wood. Besides wood not being our taste, there is also a lot of poor patchwork done mainly in the living room. If you look in the picture below you can see that part of the wall is MUCH darker then the rest of the wall. The darker part was a patch on the wall. The groves didn't match up at all, and the stain job on the wood was really bad. Even if we painted it, you would still notice it was there.
Our solution, drywall!

House024

House026

I pulled off my first piece of paneling all by myself! I was so proud :)

House028

Here are Doug's instructions for how to remove paneling:


We found some pretty funny stuff in the walls. Under this part of the molding I found a paint stirrer filling in some empty space!

House029

And between the doorway and the wall, there was newspaper!

House030

After a few hours, we finished the living room!

House031

House032

House033

Last but not least was the 2nd bedroom.

House021

We think this white spot was once a closet. We can't be sure though.

House022

House035

The wall between the 2 bedrooms had no insulation, which made it fun to walk though. I figured I can't do it for much longer, might as well do it now!

House036

House037

House038

Now that demolition is done (for the most part), we'll be moving on to switching out the electrical and framing the new ceiling in the living room!

No comments:

Post a Comment